How to Keep Your Mobile Wallet Secure
- Fraud Watch
- Frontwave Credit Union
CashApp, PayPal, Venmo, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay – and the list of mobile wallet apps goes on. These apps make it easy and convenient to pay for things online and in stores, without having to carry a traditional wallet full of cards. And while the financial information added to a mobile wallets is encrypted, you should still take steps to guard it, just like you guard your physical wallet.
To keep your financial data safe, keep these security tips in mind:
- Enable a passcode/password on your phone. This will ensure that no one else can simply pick up your phone and access your personal information.
- Enable the auto-lock feature on your phone. This will lock your phone after a certain period of inactivity. Use auto-lock with a password to make sure no one else can access your phone.
- Make sure your security software is up-to-date. When you get an alert that a security or operating system update is available, download it as soon as possible. Enable automatic updates, if possible.
- Watch for fake texts or emails that encourage you to click a link. Spam messages can open the door to malware, which software hackers use to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. Check out our infographic on phishing scams to learn more ways scammers try to steal financial info.
- Only install applications from trusted sources. Stick with Google Play or the App Store. Don’t install apps from other unknown sources.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi. The information you send over public Wi-Fi can potentially be seen by others using the network – including hackers. Instead, use your mobile carrier’s network when accessing confidential information, including a mobile wallet.
- Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use. Leaving them on when you are out in public leaves your phone vulnerable to hackers. Only connect to trusted networks.
Keeping these tips in mind, mobile wallets can be a secure and easy way to pay. And getting started is easy. Simply download Apple Pay, Google Pay™ or Samsung Pay® and add your Frontwave debit or credit card today!